Forums of IceMan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A community based on civil discussions of topics, especially video gaming but not limited thereto, and socialization with community friends.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  DonateDonate  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Post Counts & Ranks

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
IceMan
Administrator
Administrator
IceMan

Male
Number of posts : 238
Warning Level :
Post Counts & Ranks Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Post Counts & Ranks Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-06-02

Post Counts & Ranks Empty
PostSubject: Post Counts & Ranks   Post Counts & Ranks Icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2008 5:26 pm

A forum community that has perhaps been my favorite over the past several years has it so that your post count accumulates even if topics you have posted in are later deleted, reflecting how many posts you have made since you registered rather than how many are presently floating around. The nice thing about that is that it shows people how much you have contributed (hypothetically; perhaps "contributed" should be in quotation marks) to the community, even if that has not been recent contribution.

However, with phpBB bulletin boards, post count does not work that way. It instead reflects the number of your posts presently floating around somewhere. If you have made ten posts during the past two weeks and five of the oldest posts end up deleted when their topics get removed, your post count would reflect the five remaining posts rather than the ten that you've made since you registered. I have seen many folks passionately believe this to be the right way of doing it, but I also have found folks that feel the other way is better, and I guess that depends on what you feel the post count really should reflect. Either way, this is the way it is, as this is a phpBB2 board (as of the time of this writing, though I can switch to phpBB3 if I want though it works the same way).

So, if your post count mysteriously drops, that is probably why (older posts probably got deleted). To compensate for this method in phpBB, I have modest post requirements set for forum ranks. The idea behind this arrangement is that it reflects how much or how little members presently contribute to the community, so a member that is posting regularly and frequently will likely be seen with a higher user ranking than one that rarely posts.
  • Level 0 - 0 to 9 posts Post Counts & Ranks Rank0qu8
  • Level 1 - 10 to 24 posts Post Counts & Ranks Rank1vu4
  • Level 2 - 25 to 49 posts Post Counts & Ranks Rank2dl7
  • Level 3 - 50 to 99 posts Post Counts & Ranks Rank3bh2
  • Level 4 - 100 to 199 posts Post Counts & Ranks Rank4tf2
  • Level 5 - 200 to infinity Post Counts & Ranks Rank5mi3

• Moderator - special rank Post Counts & Ranks Rank6fv3
  • Administrator - special rank Post Counts & Ranks Rank7cv9

Note on Moderator and Administrator status:
These statuses are not handed out liberally. We do not intend to have most of the community in a moderator or administrator position and such is unnecessary. Asking for promotion to one of these ranks looks bad and pretty much guarantees that the status will not be awarded now or ever. Administrator status will likely never be granted to anyone other than myself as promotion to this level would for me be purposeless, and promotion to moderator status would depend on need for moderators and a judgment on who might "fit the bill".

Last edited by IceMan on Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:53 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/phillipnelson
Clan Jade Falcon
Level 3
Level 3
Clan Jade Falcon

Male
Number of posts : 64
Warning Level :
Post Counts & Ranks Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Post Counts & Ranks Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Post Counts & Ranks   Post Counts & Ranks Icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2008 11:12 pm

Yay! I reached level 1 a minute ago!
Back to top Go down
IceMan
Administrator
Administrator
IceMan

Male
Number of posts : 238
Warning Level :

PostSubject: Re: Post Counts & Ranks   Post Counts & Ranks Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 12:20 am

I have modified the ranking scale. Previously it was a five-star scale, with Level 0 posters having zero out of five stars and Level 3 users with three of five, and then moderators and administrators having four and five stars respectively. I didn't like the way the stars looked, so I made new rank images. I started making the stars different colors for different ranks: red, orange, yellow, green, and blue. That would have been nice in that this would give green stars to moderators, which are already represented with green font, but this would have given blue stars to administrators which are represented with blue font. I wanted blue font for Admins but links are blue font by default so they would appear unremarkable in blue font. So, I added two more levels, making it a seven-star ranking system, with dark green stars for Mods, which are also in green font, and gold stars for Admins, which are in gold font. This means that regular users now have six ranks, from 0 to 5.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/phillipnelson
Sam Dalton
Sam Dalton

Male
Number of posts : 110
Warning Level :

PostSubject: Re: Post Counts & Ranks   Post Counts & Ranks Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 2:46 am

I like the new system better. Good job!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samdalton1980
Clan Jade Falcon
Level 3
Level 3
Clan Jade Falcon

Male
Number of posts : 64
Warning Level :

Registration date : 2008-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Post Counts & Ranks   Post Counts & Ranks Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2008 2:54 pm

I like it better too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Post Counts & Ranks   Post Counts & Ranks Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Post Counts & Ranks
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Forums of IceMan :: Community :: Announcements & Feedback-
Jump to: