Forums of IceMan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A community based on civil discussions of topics, especially video gaming but not limited thereto, and socialization with community friends.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  DonateDonate  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

2008 Formula One

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
IceMan
Administrator
Administrator
IceMan

Male
Number of posts : 238
Warning Level :
2008 Formula One - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 1002008 Formula One - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-06-02

2008 Formula One - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2008 Formula One   2008 Formula One - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 11:39 pm

That sounds about right. That sounds like figures I've encountered before and about what I'd expect.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/phillipnelson
IceMan
Administrator
Administrator
IceMan

Male
Warning Level :
2008 Formula One - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 1002008 Formula One - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Formula One   2008 Formula One - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 2:17 pm

The FiA rejected McLaren's appeal of the Belgium Grand Prix decision, declaring it "inadmissible".

Martin Whitmarsh, Chief Operating Officer for McLaren Group, said "We are naturally disappointed with today's verdict, and to have received no ruling on the substance of our appeal. No-one wants to win Grands Prix in court; but we felt that Lewis had won the Belgian Grand Prix, on track, in an exciting and impressive manner.
Our legal team and witnesses calmly explained this, as well as our belief that the appeal should be admissible, to the FIA International Court of Appeal. It nonetheless decided that our appeal was inadmissible. We will now concentrate on the remaining four races of the 2008 Formula One season."

Lewis Hamilton said of the decision that, "People will probably expect me to be depressed about today's result, but that isn't me. All I want to do now is put this matter behind me and get on with what we drivers do best: racing each other. We're racers, we're naturally competitive, and we love to overtake. Overtaking is difficult, and it feels great when you manage to pull off a great passing maneuver. If it pleases the spectators and TV viewers, it's better still. So I'm disappointed, yes, but not depressed."

This is unfortunate, and leaves Hamilton just one point ahead of Felipe Massa for the season.
Back to top Go down
IceMan
Administrator
Administrator
IceMan

Male
Warning Level :

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Formula One   2008 Formula One - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 11:19 pm

This weekend will see the first night race in Formula One history, but the darkness shouldn't be an issue considering the ridiculous amount of lighting that has been erected around this brand new Singapore Street Circuit. It's a beautiful backdrop for a race, and fortunately this one seems more promising than Valencia turned out to be, but I guess the GP tomorrow will tell for sure. Coming out of today's qualifying, Felipe Massa is taking pole position followed by Lewis Hamilton in second and Kimi Räikkönen taking up third. Heikki Kovalainen takes up fifth on the starting grid. If the race was to finish with these drivers exactly where they are starting out, Massa would become this season's championship leader by a single point with Hamilton dropping to second, and Ferrari would broaden their lead over McLaren in the constructors' championship.

Massa has been doing terrific in general, so I pretty much expect him to finish in first, though I'm still hoping for Hamilton to take the victory. What worries me perhaps more than Massa winning the race is that something might happen to Hamilton, either taking him out completely or knocking him back to a much poorer finishing rank. I can't say why, but I've just got a bad feeling about that. I hope I'm wrong.
Back to top Go down
IceMan
Administrator
Administrator
IceMan

Male
Warning Level :

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Formula One   2008 Formula One - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2008 11:52 pm

Well, Formula 1's first night race has been an interesting one. By the end of the race, six of twenty drivers were out of the race, the last of which was last season's world champion Kimi Räikkönen who had completed enough of the race to qualify for 15th. Much earlier in the race, at that point lead by Felipe Massa, Massa suffered in pit lane when he was green-lighted to leave but the fuel hose was still attached, sending him off dragging the hose behind him and clothslining one of the pit hands. It took some time to run down to where he stopped and more time to wrestle the hose free, as it had evidently been damaged when it was yanked so hard. This knocked Massa to the back of the pack where he remained, finishing 13th.

Lewis Hamilton finished in third, scoring him six points and broadening his championship lead over Massa to seven points, benefiting from Massa's pit lane incident. With both Ferraris scoring zero points, McLaren-Mercedes overtook Ferrari in the constructors' championship by a single point. Two-time world champion Fernando Alonso, and Hamilton's former teammate for McLaren last season, scored his first victory and first podium finish for 2008 (now driving for Renault) despite starting only 15th on the grid after troubles during the second round of qualifying on Saturday. Controversially, Alonso cut the chicane at the start of the opening lap, gaining some advantage and positions, and after being critical of Hamilton cutting the chicane back at Spa a couple races back, but so far there appears to be no investigation into this "chicanery". Nelson Piquet and Nick Heidfeld are also guilty of the same here in Singapore, and again there is no investigation from the FiA, and again Heidfeld was also previously critical of Hamilton's chicane incident back in Belgium.

Here's the start of the race, and if you watch carefully you can see a car leave the track completely and cut along the outside of the traffic:

source regarding Alonso's chicane incident:
http://www.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3213_4207248,00.html
Back to top Go down
Sam Dalton
Sam Dalton

Male
Number of posts : 110
Warning Level :

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Formula One   2008 Formula One - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 03, 2008 11:41 pm

I see you still haven't got bored with F1 yet. Right Thumb

So I read all your updates in here and I think it sounds like your guy Hamilton got the raw deal. If his passing in that chicane was wrong back in Belgium, it should be wrong for everyone else in Singapore, especially after they updated the rules before the race. That sounds like an obvious double standard to me, and I think we hate double standards quite a lot, don't we Iceman?

Hey, we need a thumbs down smily.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samdalton1980
Clan Jade Falcon
Level 3
Level 3
Clan Jade Falcon

Male
Number of posts : 64
Warning Level :

Registration date : 2008-06-14

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Formula One   2008 Formula One - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 04, 2008 8:04 pm

Wow Iceman! You seem to be covering this pretty hardcore!

Sam Dalton wrote:
That sounds like an obvious double standard to me, and I think we hate double standards quite a lot, don't we Iceman?

That is what I'm thinking. Double standards suck big time.
Back to top Go down
IceMan
Administrator
Administrator
IceMan

Male
Warning Level :

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Formula One   2008 Formula One - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 05, 2008 1:57 am

Sam Dalton wrote:
I see you still haven't got bored with F1 yet. Right Thumb

So I read all your updates in here and I think it sounds like your guy Hamilton got the raw deal. If his passing in that chicane was wrong back in Belgium, it should be wrong for everyone else in Singapore, especially after they updated the rules before the race. That sounds like an obvious double standard to me, and I think we hate double standards quite a lot, don't we Iceman?

Hey, we need a thumbs down smily.

Thumb Down

Now we do.

Wink
Back to top Go down
IceMan
Administrator
Administrator
IceMan

Male
Warning Level :

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Formula One   2008 Formula One - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 12:41 am

It gives me great displeasure to announce that there will be no Grands Prix in North America at all in 2009. The United States hasn't been part of Formula One since last year and won't be for at least a few years yet, and now Canada is being dropped for 2009.

Here's what the 2009 schedule looks like:
2008 Formula One - Page 2 2009yl9

source for above chart:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Formula_One_season
Back to top Go down
Sam Dalton
Sam Dalton

Male
Warning Level :

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Formula One   2008 Formula One - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2008 10:56 pm

No update? Isn't there a race this weekend?
Back to top Go down
IceMan
Administrator
Administrator
IceMan

Male
Warning Level :

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Formula One   2008 Formula One - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 4:28 am

Well, it was an interesting round of qualifying for Sunday's race. Timo Glock started out doing very well, in fact setting the fastest lap in Q1. He continued to do well enough to make it into Q3, where he ultimately finished with a time locking him in eighth on the starting grid.

The two Ferraris and the two McLarens dominated the whole thing, and into Q3 Kimi Räikkönen sprang to life and took first, with Felipe Massa in second to make for an all-Ferrari front row, with Lewis Hamilton in third and then Heikki Kovalainen in fourth. However, right before the end of Q3, Hamilton leaped to first, not only jumping ahead of rival Massa but putting Räikkönen between them, making Räikkönen actually work against his teammate by potentially taking points away from Massa to further broaden the gap behind Hamilton. During the final minutes of Q3, Heikki Kovalainen moved ahead of Massa, broadening the gap still, and Fernando Alonso further demoted Massa to fifth, serving to help former teammate Hamilton build even more of a lead over Massa.

Anything can happen in this sport, but if the race on Sunday was to finish exactly where the drivers are starting, Hamilton would gain ten points for a total of 94, Räikkönen would gain eight for a total of 65 which wouldn't be anywhere near enough to threaten Lewis, Kovalainen would gain six for a total of 57, Alonso would gain five for a total of 43, and Massa would gain four for a total of 81, fully thirteen behind Hamilton. These would bring McLaren's total points to 151 in the constructors' championship, and would bring Ferrari to 146, taking them from just one point behind McLaren to five points behind. Again, this is if the race was to end with drivers exactly where they started, but anything can happen.
Back to top Go down
IceMan
Administrator
Administrator
IceMan

Male
Warning Level :

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Formula One   2008 Formula One - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2008 4:15 am

Well, I said anything can happen, and it sure did in Japan just a while ago.

Lewis Hamilton had a promising starting position on pole and several positions ahead of nearest rival Felipe Massa, but right off the starting grid Kimi Räikkönen got around Hamilton who fought back for position but too aggressively, running both off track at turn one of lap one. They recovered a few positions back, behind Massa, and two other drivers went off into ruin. In lap two, Hamilton was fighting Massa for position and eventually got around him, only for Massa to dig into his side and spin him around completely backwards. Hamilton had to wait for every single car to pass him before he could recover in 18th.

Massa really bent Hamilton over and he never really recovered from it. Hamilton was later penalized with a "drive through" for running Räikkönen off in turn one at the start of the race. Massa was also penalized in the same way for his collision with Hamilton, but it didn't quite make them even considering the huge amount of time Hamilton lost between 1) having to sit and wait to recover from the spin and 2) having to dart into pit lane for a fresh set of tires to replace the ones that had been damaged. Hamilton's teammate Heikki Kovalainen suffered an engine failure and ended up out of the race completely, out from a position near the front of the pack. Massa later had a bit of a collision with another driver (I forget which one) as the other driver was exiting pit lane, and that incident is to be investigated after the race, which may mean a ten-starting-position penalty going into China this coming weekend.

Hamilton ultimately finished in twelfth, earning zero points, but Massa managed to make it back up to eighth, scoring a single point, closing him to within six points behind Hamilton for the season. Kimi Räikkönen finished third and scored six points, but it isn't enough for him to have any chance at being this season's champion. McLaren scored zero points in Japan while Ferrari scored seven, putting Ferrari back on top, 141 to 135.
Back to top Go down
IceMan
Administrator
Administrator
IceMan

Male
Warning Level :

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Formula One   2008 Formula One - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2008 11:43 pm

Oh, for Christ's sake. It was Sébastien Bourdais that had the collision with Felipe Massa later on, and Bourdais was slapped with a 25-second time penalty, demoting him from high original sixth-place finish down to tenth, which promoted Massa from eighth to seventh, earning Massa an additional point to close the gap behind Lewis Hamilton to just five points, and which put Ferrari one more point ahead of McLaren for a lead of seven points, 142 to 135.
Back to top Go down
IceMan
Administrator
Administrator
IceMan

Male
Warning Level :

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Formula One   2008 Formula One - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2008 10:51 pm

Things are looking good for Lewis Hamilton so far in Shanghai, but not so much for Ferrari. During round two of Friday practice, Lewis Hamilton set the fastest lap and remained fastest for the entire hour and a half. Felipe Massa spent a bunch of time down around eighth and finally worked his way up to like fifth-fastest, but Hamilton simply outperformed both Ferraris by quite a bit. I'm just afraid Hamilton is going to try something ballsy and end up throwing the championship out the door as a result.
Back to top Go down
IceMan
Administrator
Administrator
IceMan

Male
Warning Level :

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Formula One   2008 Formula One - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2008 2:42 pm

Alright, we have Lewis Hamilton on pole going into the race in Shanghai, but right behind him are Kimi Räikkönen and Felipe Massa, and then in fourth on the grid is Fernando Alonso who has openly declared that he will do whatever he can to help Massa win the championship.
Back to top Go down
IceMan
Administrator
Administrator
IceMan

Male
Warning Level :

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Formula One   2008 Formula One - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 19, 2008 5:45 am

Lewis Hamilton started on pole today and dominated the entire race, constantly keeping several seconds between him and the two Ferraris and ultimately winning the race. Unfortunately, teammate Heikki Kovalainen suffered a tire failure and didn't finish. Interesting was that Kimi Räikkönen spent the entire race several seconds ahead of Felipe Massa, and then predictably near the end he surrendered his position to Massa so as to not steal points from Massa who needs them for the championship. This is interesting because team orders that effect the outcome of the race are strictly forbidden by the rules.
Back to top Go down
IceMan
Administrator
Administrator
IceMan

Male
Warning Level :

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Formula One   2008 Formula One - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2008 3:46 am

Because of how terrible things have went during the past several weeks, I've failed to update on Formula One's 2008 season.

On November 2, the final race of the 2008 season was held at Autódromo José Carlos Pace (still commonly known as "Interlagos"), at São Paulo, Brazil. Going into the GP, Lewis Hamilton led Felipe Massa by seven points and even if Massa were to win the event Hamilton would only need to place fifth or better to win the championship. Hamilton is a top driver that we can count on to finish on the podium, if not in first place, but in Brazil he performed awful conservatively, holding fourth or fifth throughout the event rather than driving more aggressively and potentially risking the car/engine and consequently blowing the race and the championship.

The race was delayed by ten minutes for a sudden downpour and consequential tire change, but rain again arrived near the end of the race with just a handful of laps to go. All of the front-runners pitted for wet tires except for Timo Glock who opted to remain out on his old tires. This caused Lewis Hamilton to rejoin the race in sixth, with only a few laps remaining and his hopes of winning the championship basically gone. During the final laps Hamilton was unable to gain any positions and Felipe Massa crossed the finish line in first place, and it appeared that the championship was his, as even though he and Hamilton would have been tied in the points Massa would have had a greater number of victories for the season as the tie-breaker. However, Timo Glock's final lap was hurt by several seconds on account of running on the wrong tires for the wet conditions, and to the amazement of all Lewis Hamilton passed Glock in the final corner of the final lap of the final race of the season, moving back up to fifth and gaining the necessary point to put him ahead of Massa and thusly snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. Felipe Massa won the race, but Lewis Hamilton won the championship.

Congratulations to Lewis Hamilton on becoming 2008's World Drivers' Champion, on becoming the youngest World Drivers' Champion, and also on becoming the first black World Drivers' Champion. It was just a shame that he didn't accomplish these feats during his debut season in 2007, which he lost by a single point.

On a side note, this was David Coulthard's final Grand Prix of his Formula One career. All the teams okayed him to drive with a special "Wings for Life" livery for this final race, as Coulthard is an ambassador for Wings for Life, a research charity for spinal cord injuries. Sadly, after more than a decade as a Formula One driver, while driving his final race and with a special livery for a charity, Coulthard was wrecked out of the event at the beginning.
Back to top Go down
Sam Dalton
Sam Dalton

Male
Warning Level :

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Formula One   2008 Formula One - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2008 6:57 am

Congrats on your boy winning! I'm sure you're happy about that!
Back to top Go down
IceMan
Administrator
Administrator
IceMan

Male
Warning Level :

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Formula One   2008 Formula One - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2008 11:30 pm

Sam Dalton wrote:
Congrats on your boy winning! I'm sure you're happy about that!

Yes, and I hope he can do at least as well next season.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2008 Formula One   2008 Formula One - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2008 Formula One
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2